The name Sulivane can be found spelled many ways in the early records of Maryland. Examples are Sullivane, Sullivant, Sulivan, Sullivan, Sillivant, etc. Sulivane and Sullivane were the most common. In 1738, the name Sulivane first appeared in the area that was to eventually become East New Market. A commission was appointed to perpetuate the bounds of Daniel Sulivane's land called "York". This 1738 record mentions Daniel Sulivane's dwelling house.
The land "York" was originally patented by William Smithson in 1683. Before 1697 it passed into the hands of Thomas Smithson and then to Major Thomas Taylor. Thomas Taylor and his wife sold the 200 acre tract to Thomas Whiles in 1709, who then sold the land to Francis Anderton in 1711. When Francis Anderton died in 1731 he bequeathed the 200 acre tract called "York" along with a 50 acre tract called "Westward" to his sister Sarah Anderton. A deed recorded in 1774 tells us that Sarah Sulivane, wife of Daniel Sulivane, was known as Sarah Anderton when she was bequeathed land from her brother Francis Anderton in 1731. The deed also mentions that Sarah was the daughter of an elder Francis Anderton. Daniel Sulivane appraised the inventory of the elder Francis Anderton in 1731, and thus was likely living in the area at that time. Daniel Sulivane likely married Sarah Anderton between 1731 and 1737 and thus obtained part ownership of "York".
Clues as to where Daniel Sulivane lived before relocating to the New Market area can be found in the probate records (Wills, Inventories, Accounts, Distributions) of Maryland. The name Daniel Sulivane appears over 100 times in Maryland probate records between 1700 and 1774. Between 1730 to 1770 the name appears almost exclusively in Dorchester County. Before 1730, the name Daniel Sulivane does not appear in Dorchester County records, but frequently appears in Calvert County records. There are also very infrequent mentions of a Daniel Sulivane in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Kent, St. Mary's, and Queen Anne Counties between 1714 to 1760. This Daniel Sulivane may or may not have been the same person.
In 1709 Francis Anderton appraised the Dorchester County estate of Owen Sulivane. When Owen Sulivane died in Kent County in 1708, his Will mentioned his wife Mary, his daughters, Sarah and Eliza, and his son Owen. He stated that if his wife remarries, his son Owen would be cared for by Thomas Taylor at Timothy Gattrisse's plantation, in Talbot County. A 1748 record states that Mary Sulivane had remarried to Peter Taylor. Francis Anderton, Thomas Taylor, and Peter Taylor are all associated with the Sulivane family and the area that was to become New Market during the early 1700s.
The 1714 Will of William Sturney, carpenter of Calvert County mentions his wife Catherine, and his daughter Priscilla, wife of Daniel Sillivan and their children, Priscilla and Daniel. The 1716 Will of Catherine Sturney in Calvert County again mentions her daughter Priscilla, wife of Daniel Swillavant.
A Will does not exist for the elder Daniel Sulivane. Due to a courthouse fire in Calvert County in 1882, information from other records (deeds, etc.) for the most part does not exist. Daniel Sulivane of the New Market area was likely the son of the elder Daniel Sulivane and Priscilla Sturney. The elder Daniel Sulivane likely had more children after 1714. Some possible children are Darby Sulivane, who mentions his children Owen, Mary, John, and Edward in his 1737 Kent County Will; and Florence Sulivane, who mentions his wife Sarah and children John, Daniel, Florence, Solomon, and Darby in his 1774 Caroline County Will. There may be others. The aforementioned Owen Sulivane with East New Market area connections is likely a brother of the elder Daniel Sulivane and an uncle to the New Market Daniel Sulivane. The possibility also exists that Daniel Sulivane of New Market was a son of Owen Sulivane, but not named in his Will.
A Sulivane family legend arose in the early 1900's stating that Daniel Sulivane's father was a Major James O'Sullivan, who fought in the Battle of Boyne (1695) before coming to United States with two brothers. This tall tale has been recopied and rehashed in books, brochures, souvenir programs, other publications and web creations about Friendship Hall and the Sulivane family ever since. Evidence shows the Sulivane family was in Maryland well before 1695 and Daniel Sulivane's father was not named James. In fact the name O'Sullivan or any Sulivane variation beginning with an O' does not appear at all in any type of Maryland probate record from its inception through 1774. In addition, the name James Sulivane or similar variations does not appear in land or probate records until the 1750s. The legend does not appear to be true.
Major Daniel Sulivane stated he was 50 years old in a deposition of 1757. Thus he was likely born around 1706. Daniel Sulivane was a member of the Maryland Assembly Delegates and Burgesses from 1745 to 1752, and again from 1758 to 1769. He was Sheriff of Dorchester County from 1752 through 1755.
Daniel and Sarah Sulivane lived on the tract that would eventually be known as New Market. Their first dwelling plantation was mentioned in deeds recorded in 1738 and 1743. By 1748 their dwelling was described as Daniel Sulivane's "now" dwelling plantation. A 1782 commission refers to the location where "the late dwelling house of old Mr. Daniel Sulivane, deceased, which was burnt down formerly stood". A 1783 tax record details the structures on James Sulivane's 897 acre tract called "New Market" including a brick house. It is believed that this brick house is Friendship Hall. Although the possibility exists that this brick house was just the kitchen wing part of the house. By observation, it appears that the main house and kitchen wing were built separately.
The 1776 Census of Maryland lists Major Daniel Sulivane's household with 1 male 30-40, 1 male 50-60, and 1 female 50-60, and 11 negroes. The transcriber or the original Census Taker may have marked the wrong column and under reported Daniel Sulivane's age by 10 years. During the 1776 Census, Major Daniel Sulivane was listed next to his son, Daniel Sulivane Jr.
Daniel Sulivane and Sarah Anderton had at least three children
(1) James Sulivane (1737-1807)
(2) Dr. Daniel Sulivane (ca1747-1798)
(3) Mary Sulivane married Thomas Ennalls.
As evidenced by the 1782 land commission record, Major Daniel Sulivane died before 1782.
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
SULIVANE (SULLIVAN, SULLIVANE, SULLIVANT), DANIEL (ca. 1708-by 1783).
BORN: ca. 1708, in Dorchester County; youngest son.
NATIVE: at least second generation.
RESIDED: in Transquakin Hundred, Dorchester County.
FAMILY BACKGROUND. FATHER: probably Owen Sulivane (Sullivane)
(?-1708/9) of Dorchester County.
STEPFATHER: Peter Taylor (1680-ca. 1747/48).
STEPUNCLE: John Taylor (1662-ca. 1705/6).
BROTHERS: Owen; John (ca. 1704/5-?).
STEPBROTHER: Peter Taylor, Jr. (?-1741) of Somerset County.
STEPSISTERS: Mary Taylor; Frances Taylor.
MARRIED on May 20, 1736, Sarah, daughter of Francis Anderton (?-1713/14) and wife Mary. Her brothers were John; Francis; and James. Her sister was Mary, who married John Brown (?-1767).
CHILDREN. SONS: James (1737-?), a merchant and probably a physician, a founding member of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland, 1799, who married on October 17, 1765, Mary (1738-?), daughter of Dr. Joseph Ennalls (1709-1756) and wife Mary Lockerman Haskins (?-ca. 1772); Daniel Sulivane (1745/46-1799).
DAUGHTERS: Mary (ca. 1738-?), who married Thomas Ennalls (?-by 1783); Sarah (1741-?).
PRIVATE CAREER. EDUCATION: literate.
RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION: Protestant; in his will his father directed that Daniel's sister be brought up in the Catholic faith.
SOCIAL STATUS AND ACTIVITIES: Gent., by 1754; Esq., by 1767.
OCCUPATIONAL PROFILE: probably planter.
PUBLIC CAREER. LEGISLATIVE SERVICE: Lower House, Dorchester County,
1745 (discharged on August 29, 1745, because he continued to act as
undersheriff of Dorchester County after the election notices were
posted), 1746-1748 (elected to the 2nd session of the 1745/46-1748
Assembly to fill vacancy), 1749-1751, 1751-1752 (appointed sheriff prior
to the 3rd session of the 1751-1754 Assembly), 1757-1758, 1758-1761
(Accounts 2, 3, Cv 3), 1762-1763 (Accounts 1, 2), 1765-1766 (Accounts
2-4), 1768-1770 (Accounts 1, 2).
LOCAL OFFICES: undersheriff, Dorchester County, in office 1745; sheriff, Dorchester County, 1752-1755; justice, Dorchester County, 1751-1752, 1757-at least 1773 (quorum, 1766-at least 1773); judge of election, Dorchester County, appointed 1776.
MILITARY SERVICE, major, by 1776.
WEALTH DURING LIFETIME.
PERSONAL PROPERTY. 11 slaves, 1776.
LAND AT FIRST ELECTION. 678 acres in Dorchester County (250 acres through marriage; 428 acres by purchase or patent).
SIGNIFICANT CHANGES IN LAND BETWEEN FIRST ELECTION AND DEATH:
purchased or patented 2,742 acres in Dorchester County between 1746 and
1773; sold at least 724 acres in Dorchester County between 1760 and
1771; gave by deed of gift 532 acres in Dorchester County to his son
WEALTH AT DEATH.
DIED: by January 20, 1783, probably in Dorchester County.
PERSONAL PROPERTY: size of estate unknown.
LAND: 2,037 acres in Dorchester and Caroline counties.